Monday, February 5, 2018

How to make cauliflower rice

Making cauliflower rice is a simple but messy process. Seriously when I'm done there are flecks of cauliflower all over my kitchen counter. However, when I checked the price of pre-riced cauliflower at my store, I decided it would behoove me to batch rice some cauliflower for my freezer.

I can't believe a paltry 10oz of riced cauliflower was over $4! I can buy a whole head for $2, shred it myself and end up with a lot more than 10oz. I put it in a freezer bag and have it ready when I want it.

All you need to do this:
Cauliflower (I recommend doing at least 3 heads at a time)
Food processer with a chop blade (6 cup or larger recommended)
Freezer bags or other storage containers

First, you need to prep your cauliflower. Wash your cauliflower and remove the center stalk. You need to cut or pull your head of cauliflower into smaller pieces that will fit in your food processer chute, for mine that is about 2in by 3in maximum. Put your chopping blade on your food processor, I use the same blade that shreds cheese. Fill your chute with cauliflower. It will feed in to the processor and be chopped into small pieces.

If your cauliflower gets mushy, check the blade on your food processor. It might be designed to blend/puree.

When the bowl is full (about 2 heads for my 6 cup food processor), empty the riced cauliflower into a storage container and put it in the fridge for use in the next few days or freeze it for later use.

When you are ready to eat it, it should be cooked to give it a more rice-like texture. A lot of the grocery store packages are designed for steaming it but personally I think it has better flavor and texture if it’s sautéed.


For basic preparation, you can sauté in olive oil or butter with some salt and pepper. For Asian dishes, I like to sauté it in sesame oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment