Thursday, April 1, 2010

Broiled chicken tomato toppers


You may recall my dissatisfaction with a recipe called Feta topped chicken. I was especially disappointed because I felt that it was a good concept but just not working functionally. Too bad because I love my feta.

So now that I've had some time, I've reworked it. This is what I've come up with:

Broiled chicken tomato toppers

4 chicken breasts
6-8 slices of tomato
2 slices provolone cheese
2 TB prepared pesto sauce (or 8 fresh basil leaves)

Set oven to broil and allow to preheat. Lay chicken breasts on lightly greased broiling pan and broil (on top rack) for 5-6 minutes. Remove chicken and flip over. Spread pesto on chicken and top with tomato slices. Place provolone cheese on the top and place back in oven. Broil an additional 4-5 minutes until chicken is fully cooked, taking care not to burn the cheese. If need be, you can move the chicken to a lower rack.


This was really tasty. I served the chicken with some pasta and marinara sauce to make it a meal, though veggies would be a good route too. I used provolone because I had it on hand but I think mozzarella would be equally good.

Taste: B+
Waste: A
Cost: A

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited to find your blog! I spent a lot of time today looking for single serving recipes, etc, and I came up with nothing! Everything is for families! (Which is great, love families, but it wouldn't work for me.) Luckily I found a link at thekitchn, and I'm definitely going to try this idea soon! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like it Theresa! I try to adapt all of the family focused recipes the best I can. These are really tasty and super easy to make with the broiler. Let me know how they work out for you!

    ReplyDelete