Tuesday, November 10, 2009

International breakfast - Not IHOP!

This weekend I went for brunch at my friend Alex's place and it was a real treat! Alex made a "Colombian Breakfast" for me. (She's Colombian.) She made a special kind of hot chocolate, arepas and eggs. It was delicious.

Arepas are a typical food in Columbia and Venezuela. They are kind of a cheesy-flat-corn bread but there are a bunch of different kinds. This was only the second time I've had them but I might try to make them, if I can find a recipe in English. Yo no habla espanol.

What I really want to talk about were the eggs, she put corn in them! And it was fantastic. I will admit to being highly skeptical of the corn in the eggs but as soon as I tried it, I was instantly converted. She just sauteed normal canned corn with a little salt and pepper until it was essentially roasted and then mixed in eggs. Fabulous! I will definitely be making eggs like this. A lot.

While eating my fabulous eggs I tried to ignore the fact that Alex put cheese in her hot chocolate...apparently this is a normal Colombian thing to do. Anyone heard of this? I did not try it but will definitely be asking around to see if this is "normal."

I also tried to ignore the fact that, her basil is kicking my sad little basil's butt.

I, of course, brought mimosas. Any excuse to drink champagne during the day!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lacey,

    Your breakfast sounds delicious!! I like your blog site and I am going to try your (Japanese?) Scalloped Potato recipe this week. I know your post wasn't about IHOP, but since you mentioned it, I figure you should know that the company has been exposed for food safety issues and animal cruelty in its supply chain. For more details, please check out www.humanesociety.org/ihop.

    Thank so much! =)

    -Emily Spivak

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,

    Glad you like the blog and let me know how the potatoes work out for you.

    The primary concern with IHOP is that they don't use cage-free eggs from my understanding. Look for an upcoming post I'm working on the challenges eco-friendly/ethical eating for the single girl!

    -Lacey

    ReplyDelete