Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cheese ball: The name says it all

Cheese is possibly the world's most perfect food and forming it into a ball for a party appetizer is ingenius. Cheese balls that you buy at a store are ok but they are basically round blocks of cheese, not nearly as good as the ones you can make.

Homemade cheese balls typically use some portion of cream cheese to get everything to stick together. They are fairly simple to make and only require a few ingredients. For the holidays, I tried out two out two cheese ball recipes. To make both took less than 30 minutes. The also transport easily, I took these to a party and carried it on the metro with no issue.

The first was a dried beef cheese ball, the recipe can be found here. I skipped the MSG. This turned out ok but it was a little salty. I suspect I might have been a little heavy handed with the Worcestershire sauce. I also did not roll the ball in dried beef but chopped it up and mixed it into the cheese ball and then rolled it chopped walnuts. Generally, I find rolling a cheese ball in chopped nuts is the easiest way to keep it from sticking and adds to the flavor.

The second one I made was a feta cheese ball. How could that not be delicious? Feta! The recipe can be seen here. I skipped the olives and onions because I don't like them, but if you do, I'm sure they could only add to the flavor. I also rolled this one in walnuts, and would suggest this to anyone who makes it because it was quite sticky. I took both of the cheese balls to the same event and this one disappeared much faster!

No comments:

Post a Comment